What To Expect – How Tax Relief Works
ROAD MAP TO TAX RELIEF
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN RESOLVING YOUR TAX DEBT
Many of our clients who retain our tax relief services are interested in knowing two things: One, can you settle my IRS problem for less than I owe? And two, how long will it take?
Upon retaining Landmark Tax Group to resolve your tax issue, some of the relief will be immediate and some will be over time. It is important to keep in mind that IRS problems didn’t come about overnight and will similarly take time to resolve. The good news is that generally you won’t have to meet or speak with the IRS while we are representing you. An average IRS case can take anywhere from 3 – 12 months (and longer) depending on the amount of tax liability owed, the complexity of the case, IRS backlogs, and your individual case facts and circumstances.
If you have never been a client of ours, the first step is to call our office or come in for your confidential, no obligation FREE evaluation. During this discussion, our experienced tax resolution CPAs, Enrolled Agents, and former IRS Agents will evaluate your situation and discuss all available options for resolving your tax matter – you will be speaking directly with a licensed tax professional. This generally takes about 20-60 minutes, however we will take as much time as needed to answer all of your questions and provide you with our feedback and recommendations. During your free consultation, it is highly advisable to bring to our office or fax/email us all recent notices and correspondence from the IRS. These tax notices are always reviewed FREE of charge (whether you are an existing client or not) and will help us determine where your case stands within the IRS collection process and if an IRS enforcement action, such as a bank levy, is imminent.
Don’t live near our office? No problem, we will conduct your Free consultation by phone, email or video call – whichever you prefer. We help taxpayers all over the country.
What Happens Next …
1. RETAINING LANDMARK TAX GROUP: At the end of your free consultation you will be given the opportunity to retain us as your tax representative. You will be asked to sign an Engagement Letter and make financial arrangements to cover our fees for professional tax relief services. We will also have you sign a Power-of-Attorney (POA) which establishes us as your tax representative (this Form is required by the IRS). We will then quickly file the POA form with the IRS. This will provide you with immediate relief because from this point on the IRS will be required to contact us instead of you. If they should happen to contact you, all you need to do is politely request that they contact Landmark Tax Group directly and provide them with our contact information, including phone number (1-949-260-4770). A separate POA will be required for any State problem you have retained us for as well. Once we’ve received the Engagement Letter and POA form, we get started on your case right away – usually the exact same day.
2. BEGINNING THE TAX RESOLUTION PROCESS: Your case will be personally worked by a CPA, Enrolled Agent and/or former IRS Agent who will work diligently on your case from start to finish. All of our tax relief experts are licensed tax professionals and are extremely qualified. We will develop a phased strategy for resolving your case and advise you on what steps to take for the most effective resolution. As your tax relief professional, we will always be available to you by direct dial phone, direct e-mail, in person, and via video call. At Landmark Tax Group, we keep you apprised of your case status every step of the way, and we are always available to answer your questions and address your concerns. Most of our clients never need to initiate contact with us because we provide regular case updates as the case progresses towards a resolution. (Learn about our Firm Values and Commitment to Clients)
3. IRS COMPLIANCE: Generally, before any negotiation/settlement will be accepted by the IRS, you must become a compliant taxpayer. Compliance means that all past due unfiled tax returns must be prepared and filed, even if you can’t pay. Compliance also means you have to be “current” on your quarterly estimated tax payments and you must be withholding at the correct rate if you are a wage earner. We are experienced in what must be done to achieve “current compliance” and will advise you accordingly. For those clients who can’t furnish records necessary to prepare your taxes, Landmark Tax Group has developed methods, in accordance with IRS regulations, for completing the preparation of tax returns in order to get them filed as soon as possible. Again, the focus here is on filing compliance, even if you cannot pay the tax due.
4. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES: Clients who achieve successful resolution of their matters have the following traits in common: They view the relationship with us as a collaborative one. They view this as a “project” that requires cooperation. They follow through, on a TIMELY basis, with our requests for information and documentation. Clients that achieve stated resolution goals return our phone calls, emails and stay in contact with us throughout the duration of their case. We know how to resolve your case, but we need your assistance to meet strict IRS deadlines and turnaround times – this helps prevent IRS enforcement actions, such as tax liens and levies. We can anticipate most of the IRS’ demands for information (after all, we used to work there) and in a majority of cases would have already started to collect these items from you.
5. TAX SETTLEMENT NEGOTIATION: Upon completion of a thorough case analysis and financial analysis, we will propose a plan of resolution to the IRS that is in your best interest and see it through to acceptance. We have an excellent IRS settlement track record rate and pride ourselves in obtaining the best (lowest) settlement for you under the Law (aka Tax Code). Again, the objective is to determine the best, most favorable resolution available to you based on the specific facts and circumstances of your particular case, under the Law. However, because of IRS procedures, it is rare that a proposal is accepted right away. Through diligence, persistence and follow up, we will monitor IRS actions, provide additional information to the IRS as needed, and negotiate your proposed resolution until a resolution is achieved. We will also represent you in front of the IRS Appeals Office, whenever necessary.
6. TAX RESOLUTION IS REACHED: We will review the final resolution of your case by the IRS to make sure it is as agreed upon. If not, we will insist that it be changed to reflect what was agreed to. If the IRS is unwilling to do this, we will advise you as to what your options are for the next step. If necessary, we will prepare and file a timely appeal on your behalf, and represent you in front of the Appeals Office. Finally, you will be advised on what you must do in order to succeed with your resolution and avoid future tax problems – we call this IRS Prevention Guidance. Following our advice will help keep you off the IRS radar.
HOW TO GET A FREE CONSULTATION
- Use our Contact Form
- Call us: 1 (714) 382-6780
- Email us: email@example.com
See: Our Results
“You appear to have moved mountains. I could not have done any of this without you. My sincere thanks.” – Patricia C.
(More Client Testimonials)
For immediate tax relief, contact us now at 1-714-382-6780 for a FREE consultation with our CPAs and former IRS Agents.
As Featured In